Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Working on some editing skills...

For awhile now, I've been wanting to learn how others "frame" a picture by darkening the edges. I found a great tutorial here that helped me learn how. It also included however, teaching how to turn it into sepia before adding the framing effect, so I had leave out the sepia step to get the look I wanted. It didn't turn out exactly how I had envisioned it, but in the end, I was happy with the effect.


Original (untouched)

In the first edit, I just corrected the skin tones, cleaned the food off their faces, warmed it up a little and cropped it ever so slightly.


In the next edit, I followed the steps from the tutorial. I changed it a little by playing with the color saturation and tried to age the picture a bit to make it a little more vintage looking.


In the end, I really liked their method compared to others I had tried, but I felt the picture needed a pop, so, after I was done, I layered the 'edited' original underneath and placed the sepia finished one on top, and erased the eye part from the top finished layer to bring out her blue eyes from the colored picture in the bottom layer. I think I like that the best so far. What do you think?


Hope you have as much fun as I did practicing this method. Thanks for stopping by!
Leaning on His Everlasting Arms,
Denise

No comments: